Ben Akabueze gives an exclusive interview with The
Spark team.The distinguished Lagos Commissioner
and Pastor shares the secret behind his success
and gives must-read tips for youths on how to
become a successful entrepreneur.
You have achieved quite a lot in your life; could you
give us a rundown of your biggest achievements?
I consider my achievements in life this far to be
modest; nevertheless a few of those that stand out
for me include: graduating top of my class at GCE
‘O’ Level and ‘A’ Level; graduating from university
with a First Class (Honours) degree; setting up a
successful Consumer Banking division at UBA Plc
(including negotiating the Moneygram (money
transfer) franchise); leading NAL Bank Plc through
three major transitions; leading amour reform in
Lagos State’s planning & Budgeting framework.
What were the pivotal moments or circumstances
in your life?
My becoming a born-again Christian in 1988.
How much of a role did a mentor play in your rise
to success?
I have admired and learnt from a number of
successful persons but have never really been in a
formal mentorship.
How old were you when you got your first job?
I was twenty-three when I started working after my
national youth service.
You are an Igbo commissioner in Lagos State; how
has that worked, especially given the subtle (and
not-so subtle) ethnic sentiments in our country?
I don’t have a strong consciousness of ethnicity
and so it hasn’t really impeded me in the discharge
of my duties as Commissioner in Lagos State. In
my opinion I think my appointment as
Commissioner in Lags has worked well.
What does a young entrepreneur need to know in
order to be successful in Lagos?
A young entrepreneur needs to understand the
environment (especially the opportunities and
threats), know the rules of engagement in his
chosen area of endeavour as well as know the
competition he faces.
How does the Lagos State budget focus on youth
development?
Education, healthcare, recreation, social protection
and job opportunities are among the greatest
concerns of the youth; these are among the key
areas of focus of the Lagos State Budget.
Does your climb to the top leave room for family
time? If so how do you manage that balance and
still stay successful?
Absolutely, after God my next priority is my family.
I therefore make time for the family.
For instance in
the last twenty years we have never missed our
annual family vacation. Nevertheless, I will admit
that sometimes it is difficult to balance the
required attention to family and work and I am
thankful to have a very understanding and
supportive family.
No comments:
Post a Comment