KAREN MISHRA
Small businesses can set themselves
apart from the competition by focusing on
four aspects of trust that can serve as the
cornerstones for building a solid
reputation with customers and drawing
their loyalty .
My consulting company Total Trust
developed this list of four qualities after
surveys and interviews with Fortune 500
companies over more than 20 years of
research :
1. Reliability. Do what you say you will
do, when you say you will do it. It sounds
simple, but many small businesses have
good intentions and end up failing due to
personnel or inventory issues. My favorite
local car wash, T.C. Anderson’s of
Durham, N.C., owned and operated by
T.C. Anderson, always has a full staff
waiting when I arrive so the wait times
are short and the car ends up looking
brand-new. I know that I can count on
the company to come through whether I
need a regular wash and a hand dry or a
complete detailed job.
2. Openness and honesty. Don’t lie about
your company's capabilities or hide its
pricing from customers. They won't
return but instead will share the bad news
with their friends. Instead, be up front
about how your company operates and
why you charge what you do. Customers
will appreciate your honesty.
For example, I am using My Dog Tess, a
North Carolina real-estate service, for the
second time. The company aims to
reduce the costs involved in selling a
home. The company is up front about its
pricing structure as well as what it will or
won't do. I had success in saving money
the first time I used the service in a down
market, and now I hope to save a bit
more in a better market.
3. Competence. As a business owner,
you need to prove to customers that your
firm is the best to get a job done. You
can’t do that without constantly
improving what's delivered.
Two Men and a Truck International relies
on feedback cards from its clients to
improve the customer experience. Movers
leave the feedback cards with customers
at the end of a job. When customers mail
in those comment cards, they are sent to
the company's headquarters in Lansing,
Mich., where they are read and
digested. The folks at headquarters
compile the feedback and send it to each
location.
If the company can make systemwide
changes as a result, it does so. When
great results come in, the company
celebrates with everyone. This simple
feedback system has helped the firm
obtain a high referral rate and grow over
20 years from having one truck to using
1,800 vehicles.
4. Compassion and caring. This is an
area where small businesses can shine
but their larger competitors may not.
When you run a small business, you
know your customers, their businesses
and families. Knowing someone
personally and showing interest in him or
her goes a long way toward building
trust.
Jim Clark, owner of an Okemos,
Mich., franchise for PostNet, a provider of
marketing and printing services, is
brilliant at this. He knows every customer
by name, his or her business and what's
important to each one. Clark takes the
time to listen ask questions and even
remembers what someone told him
during the next visit. Even after I moved
from Michigan, I returned to visit Jim and
it felt like seeing an old friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment